Wednesday, May 13, 2009

No Bon-Bons Here!

My husband sometimes has the habit of coming home from work and asking the completely innocent question,”What did you do today?” While I know he is just saying this by way of greeting, sometimes it gets under my skin as if he couldn’t look around and see what I did. I feel like saying,”You know those clean underwear you put on this morning? Well that’s because I washed 4 loads of laundry today (and yesterday and the day before…) And you know when you sat on the couch to put on your shoes and you didn’t have to clear off Barbie and her miscellaneous accessories? That’s because I cleaned them up at least nine times.. (apparently my couch is now Barbie’s Day Spa.) And did you think that the kids taught themselves to read, write, and do math…nope that was me too. In the spare moments I might have even snuck in a few lessons about manners and behavior. I did dishes and prepared 3 fairly nutritious and pretty darn tasty meals…and then did dishes again. Then I got the kids ready to go to whichever dance class is today. Next I delivered them to said dance class. Then I came home to be greeted with “What did you do today?” To which I usually just reply, “Oh, I just sat on the couch and ate bon-bons while watching my ’stories’.” Because by this point all of the hard work has been undone and Barbie is back at the Day Spa and has brought friends this time, someone cleaned their room and brought 3 arm-loads of laundry to the laundry room, the lunch dishes or snack trash have been left out so that it looks as though not only have the dishes not been done but some manner of swine rooted around on the bar or table. I wonder what would happen if I really did sit all day and eat bon-bons.
The above is just the short list as we are now also trying to start a home business, finish up a remodeling project that has been going on for over a year, organize and declutter a house that has about 10 different people’s belongings in it with soon to be only 4 of us living here! My poor husband is working overtime at every opportunity to help pay for all of this and you can see above to find out what I do all day, so at the end of the day if we got anything accomplished other than normal daily routine, then we get down-right excited! In my day-to-day life there is not much time for bon-bons (or sleep) but someday we will get it all done and the kids will grow up and leave and there will be no one to clean up after, taxi around, or teach to use a tissue not a sleeve. If you see me then I will be sitting on the couch thinking…”What the heck is a bon-bon anyway?!”

No comments:

Post a Comment